Monday, August 17, 2009

a garden of graves...

i am grateful for...

exploring an old brooklyn cemetery with eddie. haylie bird and i were originally going to go together on sunday, but opted to go junkin' instead, due to the summer heat. but ed and i have been waking up insanely early so i pulled him (hemming and hawing) to green-wood cemetery, while the air was still semi-cool. and it was delightful.

cemetery steps

the beginning of our journey.

mausoleum

the best view, overlooking a lily pond and a mausoleum.

sweet gum path

paths named after various trees and plants.

lady statue

brave soldiers

along the way we encountered many brave men and women.

flower stump

and a flowering stump.

lily pond

and an army of bullfrogs sunbathing on water lilies.


i have a big ole soft spot in my heart for cemeteries. when my mother was a girl scout leader in atlanta, our community service trip involved venturing to oakland and scrubbing down margaret mitchell's grave. i can't wait to go back in the fall, when the leaves are changing. i might just sit by the lily pond and watch the bull frogs jump from pad to pad.

...or maybe just have a creepy séance with my friends, now and then style.

8 comments:

sqweakygurl said...

you know i always thought i was strange for having this strange love for cemeteries,but it's nice to know someone shares my fondness. And now & then is one of the best films with the greatest soundtracks. love that movie :)

Clicky Overload said...

I also have a soft spot for cemeteries. When I was in school, I took part in a project about Jewish cemeteries. We took black-and-white pictures of Jewish cemeteries in the area. They were all enchanted places.

Jay said...

I can't believe I've lived in Brooklyn for so long and never been to Green-Wood... it's downright shameful. And I'm always riding past it on the way to get tacos! Sheesh.

Isabel said...

I think cemeteries are some of the most beautiful places in the world.

Anonymous said...

such gorgeous pictures! also, may i ask where mike the barber works? i'm in search of a place that can help me keep my pixie cut! love, maxie

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

of course!!!!! he works at freemans sporting club in the west village. he "normally" doesn't cut ladies hair. but he is awfully sweet and can give a good trim- he's just doesn't "style hair". he's a true barber. he's the best!

nitebecomesday said...

what a beautiful place! i love cemeteries, too. in fact, i think my childhood obsession with the movie Now and Then started it all...

Janet Scronce said...

cemeteries are the best. so is your blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

copyrights. credits. recognition...

hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.