Wednesday, August 26, 2009

delicate cycle of summer...

today i am grateful for...

doughnuts and doilies

1. discovering the wednesday farmers market on my morning walk 'round prospect park. and discovering it is apple cider doughnut season again! i'm no doughnut champion, but i can devour a whole bag of these babies if given the opportunity. and i finally broke out my doilies( part of a momma branch care package).


delicate cycle

delicate cycle 1

2. being responsible enough to give my delicates and linens a good oxiclean soak. sweet francesca( who i am very bummed i missed seeing during her nyc visit) makes a lovely spokeswoman for oxiclean. she swears this is the be-all, end-all for vintage hand washables. now i just need a decent steamer!


straw flowers

3. my straw flowers finally opening up! and some have even fully inverted, which just tickles me pink. i think i might have to make a straw flower crown today. a little end of the summer head piece.


piano rolls 1

piano rolls 2

i wish i had a sweetheart

dreaming

4. this newsworthy local record shop owner for getting rid of his stock of piano rolls... for dirt cheap! in the past i have bought one of these bad boys for more than 10 times what i paid for. oh well, you live and learn. but i have a few repurposing ideas i am tossing around. we shall see...

5. freaks and geeks marathons with my husband. it doesn't hold a torch to my so-called life, but i do like it. a whole lot.

14 comments:

Isabel said...

How funny! Freaks and Geeks and My So-Called Life are the only two shows I've ever watched obsessively. I personally prefer Freaks and Geeks (more funny, less angsty). Bill Haverchuck is my God.

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

soooo good. my husband 100% agrees with you miss isabel! i will always be a m.s.c.l loyalist though...

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of those old piano rolls. I would die to get ahold of some of those.

Kate F. said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! [jumping around with my hand in the air]
Have you been to the new Ace Hotel on 29th st.? First of all, the whole lobby bar area looks like a civil war general's library, and I mean that in the best possible way.*

But the lobby bathrooms are papered in piano rolls, then lacquered or varnished. It looked amazing and I'm DYING to do it myself, but I don't have the right place for it right now. Go look though. So great.

*Just be careful on the red suede couches. I tried to avoid sitting on them in white pants but even buffalo throws were grimy enough to mark. Wear something dark.

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

ooh i just checked out the hotel online! i will definitely have to sweet talk the mister into taking me! i wanted to do the piano roll idea but with antique children's book pages...

but i think my sweet landlords would have heart attacks.

Jay said...

I didn't know there was a Wednesday market!! Is it at Grand Army or somewhere else?

The titles of those songs are killing me... "The Right Kind of Love," "Sweet Bunch of Daisies," "I Wish I Had a Sweetheart (Like that Old Sweetheart of Mine)"... amazing.

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

oh yes ma'am miss jc! wednesdays at bartel-pritchard square... it's teeny, but has the solid market standbys... fruits & veggies, fresh baked breads and pastries, and sea food. i would say 6-10 stands, maybe?

MC's Closet said...

love the photos!!!
are you a photographer?? thats like my dream job.

also, i love the name of your blog:)

--casey
http://mcscloset.blogspot.com/

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

well thank you casey, but i am a poor excuse for a photographer!

you, on the other hand, are going to be soooooo successful- wow, you are 14? i am amazed at how talented young gals are these days. it gives me great, great hope! keep it up miss!

ashleigh said...

Hey, I read on here that you are making a wedding quilt... what is that exactly?

Anonymous said...

What?! There's a weekday farmer's mkt in the Slope? No me diga! I've lived here for nearly 4 years. Must get on that. Your doughnut made me think of delicious sweets, which makes me think of a place on 5th Avenue/Carroll called Trois Pommes. They have the most delicious treat known to man. A whoopie pie. Red velvet. I think it will appeal to your Southern Sensibilities. It did mine.
--traci

Diana Brito said...

Speaking of donuts - I just this morning had such goodness that words cannot do it justice. Close your eyes and imagine the flavor of an apple, maple, bacon donut - sweet, but not too sweet, real quality bacon bits on top. Not greasy, just perfection. Next time you are in San Francisco...

andrea said...

So many amazing vintage things on your blog! The 'Couture' notebook is especially magical.

Suzy said...

*squeals in delight*!

i found a pile of piano rolls at a st vinnies for a buck each last year but Only Bought One and am killing myself over it, but am all too happy to see that others enjoy them as well!

the one i chose is called 'let us waltz as we say goodbye' and i have yet to figure out the right way to show it off...

see it here:
http://suzymaggie.blogspot.com/2009/03/me-spoils.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails

copyrights. credits. recognition...

hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.