Thursday, June 19, 2008
i will collect them all for you in butterfly jars...19 june 2008 gratitudes
1. oh i wish i had brought my camera last night! christine cho knows how to make people dance dance dance. it has been a long time since i have put on my dancing shoes and everyone knows how i love when we all get together and shimmy the night away. i wish she would dj every night that i go out dancing.
2. after watching the red balloon, i began thinking about my favorite short films and i immediately thought of amanda finn. she is a film maker from scad whose films remind me of beautiful collages and watercolor paintings. her work has this really dreamy and lovely languid quality about it and i wish i had a dvd of her films. the first time i saw them i was in the local coffee shop in savannah, dripping sweat, craning my neck to and fro trying to catch every last second. her work is so beautiful, it hurts to look at it.
3. emily searle is a really talented photographer who i had the honor of knowing at scad. she and amanda finn work and play and live together in brooklyn. she has a really spot on eye for arranging spaces and i love the way she photographs girls. she took a photo of me in my old apartment in savannah and it makes me laugh because it is a pretty accurate portrayal of how i live. random piles of inspiration, clutter, and clothes. like a little girl who never learned how to live like an adult. oh well.
4. mollie little. my very talented(and very little!) room mate. she is an illustrator who moved to new york on a whim(how romantic) and is making her dreams come true. she has worked three jobs at a time and still, i would come home to find her in our sweaty apartment, in a delicate slip, lost in her world of sketches. that to me is amazing. she is committed to her craft and she believes in magical thinking...it keeps working for her everytime. i love a believer.
5. halligan norris is one of my favorite jewelry designers. i wear so much bling on my neck, but of all the layers of bits and baubles, without fail, her tee tiny little gold elephant catches every girl's eye. i want her to be carried in stores like catbird and greenwich letterpress and other darling stores.
she has a cult following and i am trying to sweet talk her into peddling her wares from philly to nyc.
i really do love collecting kind, humble, talented girls and forcing them to be my friends. i have a not-so-secret wish to form a menagerie of amazing women who i know will be chapters in art history books in years to come. i can't wait to see what lies ahead...
copyrights. credits. recognition...
hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.