Monday, November 9, 2009

sleepy hollow...

today i am grateful for...

view of the manor

philipsburg manor

chelsea and john

sneaking out of the city with friends. chelsea cook, john gardner, and i hopped the train to sleepy hollow, new york for a sunday adventure. chelsea led us to philipsburg manor, a historic house on a sprawling 52, 000 acre plot of land.

dried herbs

walking through the cow barn, we were greeted by hanging gourds, corn, herbs, and horsetails.


cow udders


mischief meow

and i met my first barn kitty, mischief.


sheep barn

sheep

and i found where they keep their sheep.

side of the mansion

all cameras had to be put away once we entered the house for our tour. it's a shame because their were lots of charming bits of history i would have loved to share. particularly the sugar cones, fabric swatch books, and kitchen table.

thermos and glasses

a little fall still-life. my thermos and heart sunglasses.

chelsea and ginny

my sweet chelsea cook.

chelsea's view

chelsea's favorite view as we made our return.


autumn leaves

the golden hour. i collected leaves like a mad woman. i even naughtily broke some low branches off. i'm terrible.


duckies

even the duckies came by to say farewell.

it was a beautiful day with beautiful friends. public transportation is so good to me, a girl who doesn't know how to drive. little day trips to escape the city is very good for the soul. we also hit up the sweetest antique shop (photos for later). and read scary stories aloud on the train ride back. it was a perfect fall day.

13 comments:

hayliebird said...

ugghh!! so jealous. it is so beautiful.

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

we missed you! next trip, you're comin' with! lets do a thanksgiving-y one!

Kathleen said...

that is indeed a mischievous looking kitty! what a beautiful autumn adventure.

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

Such gorgeous photos!!!

Inés said...

amazing spot!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, fantastic! I haven't had a day like that in ages! You live a very lovely life :)

onesilentwinter said...

i love this series!!!

Kaitlin Torp said...

Oh my goodness, Philipsburg Manor! I've been reading your blog for a while but I am a shy commenter. I couldn't help but yell when I saw your photos from today though. I just moved to North Carolina for graduate school, but I grew up in Westchester, NY- I went to history camp for like 5 years straight at Philipsburg! Thank you so much for posting these. Sometimes I really start to miss NY and I'm so glad I got a little glimpse of one of my favorite places.

MJ said...

What a perfect perfect day!
there's nothing better than spending a magical day away from your usual place with good friends. Your day just sounds magical.
MJ

Unknown said...

yay! red!

i hope you have that photo of you and your friend framed and hung on your wall somewhere - it's perfect.

Blayne Macauley said...

What a wonderful day Ginny! I love your photos! You have such an eye :)

John G said...

I had soo much fun! We need to hit up another trip real soon. All of the manors and castles are decorating for the holidays as we speak!

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read this post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Sincerely yours
Jeph Normic

Related Posts with Thumbnails

copyrights. credits. recognition...

hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.