Tuesday, November 3, 2009

ballet shoes...

today i am grateful for...

indulging in a obscenely girly movie after a looooong day of cleaning.

ballet shoes

please netflix ballet shoes. the film tells the tale of three little orphan girls, the fossil sisters, who enroll in a dance academy to raise money during hard financial times. this is a movie to watch alone or with your best gal pals. definitely encourage the boys to turn their attention elsewhere.

intro 1

meet the fossil girls...

tap shoes

pauline.

turban

petrova.

posy

posy.


baby airplane

cupcake

camp scene

the film is set in 1930s england and the costumes and the props are just so utterly charming. every kitchen and backstage, dressing room scene gets my wheels turning. mercury glass mirrors. enamel bowls and mugs. floral lights over a bed. a giant, old wooden swing. airy floral day dresses. pink, rouged cheeks. hairbows, turbans, curls, and fingerwaves. i feel like i'm flipping through an anthropologie or toast catalogue. oh, and the camp scene with fabric tents and garlands in the trees? it reminds me of a haylie bird waring birthday party of sorts.

alice in wonderland

and there is an alice in wonderland scene. big bonus points.

posy 2

and miss posy has given my some good hair-inspiration for when my hair finally gets to that awkward in-between short and long stage.

kiss the bride

and there is a wedding scene in the end. with amazing heart confetti and a lovely 1930s veil.


i would put this movie in the same category as miss pettigrew lives for a day, or a little princess. not exactly think-pieces but absolutely adorable and easy on the eyes. i'm all for indulging in guilty pleasure movies.

27 comments:

SjogrensStyle said...

Emma Watson!

Color Me Green said...

oh i remember reading this book when i was little!

Suzy said...

you blessed doll, i was JUST wishing i knew about more movies like A Little Princess.

can't wait.

Humble Magnificent said...

Oh this is absolutely one of my favourite books. I used to read it endlessly as a child. (I wanted to be Posy whilst my sister wanted to be Pauline). The film adaptation is a sweet one and very easy on the eye.
A good idea for a reward after a hard day's work!
x

www.humblemagnifent.blogspot.com

Kate F. said...

You've read all the "Shoes" books, right? RIGHT? If not, get them STAT. Ballet Shoes is first, Theatre Shoes follows, then there are a few more though those two are the best. (Dancing Shoes, Skating Shoes, etc.) Ballet Shoes is among my favorite books ever and the movie was a fairly faithful adaptation, though the love story was an add-on. (BTW, it took me the whole movie to figure out that the actress playing Garnie was the one who played Georgiana Darcy in the Colin Firth Pride & Prejudice!!)

Allie said...

Wasn't sure about this movie when I first heard about it, but you've convinced me. Can't wait to watch it!

Anonymous said...

How on earth have I lived without knowing about this! Thank you, thank you!

Unknown said...

The costuming and styling just looks incredible and that's all I really need.... :)

S. Ellen said...

I watched this one or two christmasses ago on the bbc. I adored Noel Streatfield (who wrote this and many other dancing inspired children's novels) as a child, and loved this TV film version.

I love the girl who plays Posie too. She's equally charming in the BBC series of Sense and Sensibility. That's lovely too if you can get your hands on it..

Anjelica said...

Oh I love this film! Two of my friends are in this movie! It is such a dream. <3

Sealicious said...

Thanks for sharing! I love the book and didn't know it was also movie!

Katie Elizabeth said...

Oh yes, this movie is lovely. Definitely eye candy.

Erinna said...

I love the movie, and the book is equally as magnificent! I also love all the sets and costumes, they are so romantic and beautiful...

Julia said...

I am SO finding this. Looks great!

Six Six Sick said...

I'm totally netflixing this right now
!!!
xx
Tiffany

Ashley said...

All of the Shoes books were favorites of mine as a kid, although Ballet Shoes was always my favorite. I didn't know they had adapted it into film until a few months ago, and I haven't managed to get my hands on a copy-but you've inspired me. :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful film stills!

x ws x

indigotangerine said...

this was one of my favorite books as a kid. I wanted to see it, but the darn dvd wouldn't play! Must try again
-indigo

kes said...

i too have smiled at this movie...very, very sweet. <3

Jill Turner said...

I was about to say "Pauline looks so much like Emma Watson..."

Then I realized that it was her! I love her! I think I will rent this soon - looks fun!

Sarah said...

Everyone is right - you MUST read the book! It is possibly even more magical than the movie.

Lis said...

Wow! Thanks so much! I loveloveloved this book when I was little! I had no idea that there was a film version.
P.S. I lovelovelove your beautiful blog! :)

jezebel said...

I'm going to gather my girls (Teepee the pup, Coral the cat) for some frippery this eve. Thank you for sharing! Wait, books?! Need those right now.

Amy A said...

I am another HUGE fan of the books. I have all the shoes books as well as other books written by noel stretfeild - such as the gemma books. Love these!

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

oh girls! i am totally buying the book series now! i've needed some sweet books to read on the train. thank you for all your suggestions, i am so excited!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me of Ballet Shoes and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day which I've been meaning to watch!

jezebel said...

Watched last night, on your recommendation. Might watch again tonight. Perfect balm for holidays in retail.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

copyrights. credits. recognition...

hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.