Saturday, October 4, 2008
the merchant of marvels and the peddler of dreams...4 october 2008 gratitudes
1. ate peanut butter pie from sugar sweet sunshine and macaroni and cheese from relish. two of my favorite guilty pleasure foods from two of my favorite restaurants.
2. observed the incredibly studied, impeccably dressed pre-teens lounging around the bakery. amy and i giggled over the stylistic differences between the new york youth and the rest of the country. good grief, when i was in junior high my greatest fashion triumph (which is debatable) would have been my pink pleather skirt suit from guess?...or perhaps my high heel sketchers. i really channeled cher from clueless. so shameful.
3. discovered a new favorite store luddite in brooklyn. amy merrick continues to lead me to swoon-worthy shops such as this one. a beautiful space filled with curiosities, military/naval memorobilia, medical equipment, old marriage certificates, and turn of the century furniture to die for. i could have bought everything in the store. i went with a mission to furnish my new home, but came away with two yummy hand-knitted hats. hand-knitted by the owner's girlfriend's grandmother in maine. sold.
... and i went to school with the owner's sister, angela scarola, at savannah college of art and design! what a charming small world we live in.
4. went to the chelsea flea market with coco and kristen after months, literally, of failed attempts( which i take full responsibility for). i was in heaven. beautiful treasures that i could afford! i keep running into the heartbreak of finding collectibles that are far out of my price range. y'all, new york is 'spensive! but i triumphantly came away with my arms full of old suitcases, a 1920s portrait of a little girl, tiny glass bottles(to store my sequins), a 1920s french chalkboard, a 1940s bronze gooseneck lamp, and the loveliest educational edition of le petit prince. heaven. thanks coco!
5. made progress in the unpacking of my life into my new apartment. sigh. i just want to blink and it be done with. i really do want to be a tidy little housewife and not a gypsy little girl. baby steps...
copyrights. credits. recognition...
hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.