Thursday, June 25, 2009
goodbye king of pop...
i really am heartbroken. i truly loved michael jackson and considered myself to be one of his biggest fans. i just wasn't ready for today. i always pictured that one day i would meet him and tell him all of these things...
1. i first saw the "making of thriller" when i was about 5. i know the entire documentary by heart and can quote the whole thing from start to finish. he was my first celebrity crush.
2. as a little girl i thought the female lead, ola, was so pretty that i made my parent buy me a black baby doll at an arts fair. i named her ola. i was probably 5 or 6.
3. when i was a cheerleading captain i made sure "beat it" was one of the songs used in one of our dance routines. i was quoted in the yearbook saying "cheerleaders make the best of friends. and we stole our moves from thriller." completely misquoted, but it was along those lines...
4. i made a special trip to athens, georgia twice to see "who's bad" in concert. a michael jackson tribute band from north carolina. i was pulled up on stage both times. one time i was serenaded to "lady of my life" and the other time i danced across the stage to "the way you make me feel".
5. i won a trivia contest in high school one time with the question, "who played the scarecrow in the wiz?" duh.
6. i was one of the few people who genuinely believed michael was innocent, and didn't talk ugly about him.
7. i used to wake up corrie, my college roommate up many mornings singing thriller at the top of my lungs. she has still never forgiven me for it.
8. i payed $150 for a creepy michael jackson(circa long hair, face masks, and pajamas) painting done by an artist at scad. it is terrifying and everyone has tried to convince me to get rid of it.
9. i have three michael jackson band t-shirts from when my sisters saw him in concert in the 80s. not to mention countless buttons, notebooks, keychains, biographies, and more.
10. i have the red thriller vest, fedora, and sequined glove. i have dressed as him for halloween more times than i should admit . and i did it in the most sincere fangirl way.
11. i am known to break out the thriller dance moves, with little to no encouragement. one of my favorite party tricks.
12. i will always regret that i didn't play any michael jackson at our wedding. everyone kept coming up to me in shock that he wasn't on our play list.
13. i really loved his album invincible. "you rock my world" is one of my favorite of his songs.
14. "man in the mirror" makes me cry every time.
15. "got me working day and night" helped me get through my senior thesis at scad. it was kind of my theme song for the fashion department.
16. i can name all 9 of the jackson children. rebbie, jackie, tito, jermaine, latoya, marlon,randy and janet. another favorite piece of trivia i pull out from time to time. mainly, i use it as a barometer to test people who say they are his biggest fan.
i will never forget this day. i already miss him so much. he truly was the greatest entertainer of all time. not only that...he was magic.
copyrights. credits. recognition...
hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.