Monday, September 15, 2008

stay golden, my children...15 september 2008




and this is why haynes riley makes me smile. he is one of my favorite artists and a dear friend since our art school days in savannah, georgia. he speaks about art in a pure, altruistic way, like he's thinking out loud and not caring who is listening. i wish my thoughts were as poetic as his. here is what he wrote about the piece he created. and the photo is of his mother, marilyn and her sister. they are twins. like haynes and his brother hunter.


"it is supposed to be about "my process" of creativity. i explain it by saying I just GO and enjoy myself. I let the visual and idea drive the piece, while using a grid and other design techniques. but mainly it is about the joy of designing. I think the gold represents what it does in that Robert Frost poem that they recite in The Outsides: when Johnny says "I think I know what that guy meant when he said nothing gold can stay." and then Johnny continues, "like when were younger, that's gold. and the way you dig sunsets Pony Boy, that's gold"

when dawn turns into day, nothing gold can stay. i need to find this exact poem and quote it correctly.

what do you guys think? actually, what do you guys feel?

haynes"

and this is one of my favorite things about haynes. after working together for ten hours at the stores, grumpy and tired, he sends me something like this. thanks haynes riley.

2 comments:

vixen in the city said...

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

-- Robert Frost

love your blog by the way im a new reader!

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

i love this bittersweet poem. thank you for posting it in full.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

copyrights. credits. recognition...

hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.