Wednesday, July 28, 2010

the edge of love...

caitlin and vera 3

this is a film i have been dying to see since i saw the advertisements for it many moons ago. and i love love. and love stories. and while i was hoping to have a bright star experience, i found the acting and storyline to be...a little...bland? and all the "complicated" twists and turns within the love triangle, or ummm, love polygon... it just didn't win my heart. but i did fall for the clothing, props, and interiors! i felt like i was living in chelsea fuss's house with haylie waring's wardrobe. in fact, i think the cardigans were the main stars of this film!

vera

caitlin 2

caitlin

dylan thomas's two fiery loves, his saucy wife caitlin and his childhood sweetheart, vera, a feisty cabaret singer.

caitlin and vera

caitlin and vera 2

caitlin and vera's friendship isn't exactly heart-warming. unusual, definitely. stylish, absolutely. i felt like i was watching a fashion editorial featuring a pair of giddy 1940s school girls painting england and wales red. their wardrobes make me long for fall! thick ribbed tights, chunky hand-knitted irish grandma sweaters, and silk floral bias-cut dresses. oh, and kimonos! all the boudoir scenes left me with a hankerin' for a delicate silk kimono. kinda weird since i have NEVER had any interest in owning a little kimono robe. and sienna wears some fantastic hats!

caitlin and dylan

vera's loves

the love stories. eh. neither dylan nor william made my heart go pitter-patter. they're both a little too demented for me, in one way or another.


edge of love house

welsh farmhouse interior

their welsh farmhouses might be the real leading ladies of this film. hubba hubba. the interiors made me melt. the white wainscoting, etched mirrors, wallpaper everywhere, dried flowers, rough-hewn tables, weathered leather club chairs... oh i could keep rambling on.

art supplies PS1

edge of love sad

edge of love patterns

and all the props. really?! really?! i felt like i was flipping through a toast catalogue. heavenly. the colors and patterns of this film are sensational. such a gloomy palette of mustard yellows, hazels, cornflower and periwinkle blues, muddled greys, oxblood reds, and drab olives. a perfect welsh fall color story. yum.

well this film taunted me with fall. my favorite season. here in georgia that ain't happenin' for at least 2-3 more months. for now it is just record-breaking heat indexes. and hateful humidity. sob.



19 comments:

chelsea said...

the props, house + clothing look amazing!!! a welsh farmhouse sounds lovely.

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

chelsea, have you not seen this? it is exactly what i picture your farmhouse to look like...if you have a farmhouse! the acting is meh, but it's yummy to look at it.

Ms. Dee said...

I've been wanting to see this since forever as well. That's too bad the acting & story aren't that great, but it does look gorgeous, so I'll have to see it anyway.

Mallory said...

i totally agree with your view on the movie. i didn't love the characters / script / acting anywhere near as much as i adoreeeeeed the sets/costumes. oh well. sometimes enjoying something visually is enough!

Liane said...

oh my god in heaven the interiors. will watch it just for this. and the clothing. thanks for the recommend, girl.

Casee Marie said...

Love this post and this film! I wasn't completely astounded by the performances or the story, but I loved the overall look of the film and the experience of watching it. The pretty landscapes and fashions really made up for the few places where the film lacked, for me. (Probably sounds horrible to say that - I guess I'm not much of a true film reviewer - but what can I say?)

Fall is my favorite season, too. It's such a cozy time, and the fashion is always so warm and lovely.

Becky said...

Yes, this film for me was very much about the costumes and the sets too (all very lust-worthy) rather than the acting/storyline.

Dianne said...

I have to say I really, really hate both actresses in this film, but it is a beautiful movie. I was massively surprised that i enjoyed this movie a much as I did. So beautiful.

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

see I wasn't too into this movie. I loved the outfits, but the story was so boring for me. It was sad and depressing, for sure. Anyway I love the scenery and all!

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

i agree, and i certainly ain't no film critic, but the acting and story line did not tug on any heartstrings. definitely underwhelming, but i found the props, costumes, and scenery to give it some redeeming qualities.

Clare said...

I've been wanting to watch this film too and your photos have peaked my curiosity. Although I must admit both actresses irritate me quite a lot so I may have the same reaction as you.
Will definitely be checking out bright star though.

michael ann said...

i definitely watch some movies for the sole purpose of watching the costumes and interiors, haha! i'm going to have to check this one out, those snippets look gorgeous :]

Neon Relish said...

Oh my gosh! Long-time reader, first-time commenter and can I just say: ME TOO! I watched this movie hoping for a "Bright Star experience" as well, and really was only able to fall in (pretty serious) love with the scenery & costumes. I screen-capped some of the same scenes! Have you found anything that matches up to Bright Star yet? (I haven't!)

hayliebird said...

i think you meant to say, "Haylie Waring's DREAM wardrobe!". I so wish I dressed as lovely as they did in this bad film. You know how I feel about Kiera- bleh! On mute, it was dreamy... xoxo

Marcheline said...

Never heard of this movie - might have to check it out, even though "Kiera Chisel-Chin Knightley" is in it.

Clare & Laura said...

my friend's mom was the costume designer for this film. she also did 'i capture the castle' which in my opinion was better and the dresses are beautiful! we used to dress up in them at her house when we were at college together!

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

clare & laura- wow! tell your friend's mom that i love her work! so good!! and i will definitely look up i capture the castle, which is great because it is on my summer reading list too!

The Body Electric said...

EXACTLY!!! I was so disappointed by so many things with that movie but the eye candy is delicious! You nailed it, the tights, the socks, the shoes the sweaters the details of the set. Siiiiigh. Yes please. All of it, yes please.

Lulu said...

These are fabulous screen captures, i love them! The movie was alright but i love Knightly and MIller together.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

copyrights. credits. recognition...

hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.