Monday, May 19, 2008
oh, i just had the most amazing beach vacation with my sweet man! his grandfather, pop, let us stay in their family's beach vacation home in amelia island. it has been a long time since this lily white flower has seen the beach...
1. having the beach to ourselves...incredible. new york is one hustle and bustle city and it is quite a surreal sensation to go from a city packed with people like sardines, to a sprawling sea side with hardly any souls disturbing the landscape. the quiet crashing of waves and our mo-town beach tunes provided the only soundtrack for our ears.
2. finding one tiny conch shell, perfect and no bigger than a stick of gum. i saw children dragging their buckets that were bursting with shells and i became so envious. i was hoping to find a shark tooth but instead i found the sweetest little shell, and i knew it was meant to be. i gave it to the lovely chelsea cook and it is currently on her studio desk.
3. spanish moss. my goodness, all of the trees were dripping with spanish moss and it made me very nostalgic for savannah. i even thought about convincing eddie to take a day trip there since amelia island is only a few hours away. something about this moss is so romantic and kind of creepy at the same time.
4. cobalt blue. this color kept popping up on the trip...in ed's shorts and in a row of beach umbrellas. i miss color, since i don't see too much of it in the concrete jungle of new york city.
5. seafood. i ate all the shrimp, crab, and oysters to my heart(and stomach's) content. fried, steamed, broiled, you name it. i felt like bubba gump.
6. ed showed me the house where pippi longstocking was filmed. amazing. it looked just like how it did in the movie, but with a fresh coat of paint. my favorite scene was when they cleaned the house and she wore those scrubbing brush shoes. it made me actually want to clean...
7. kissing my sweet man for 5 days. i love to smooch and i've loved kissing him for the last 11 years. it really never gets old. he really is the best thing to have ever happened to me.
8. fort clinch. it's this site where civil war battles took place. you have to walk over a drawbridge through a tunnel into a circle of brick houses. each house was filled with different objects, mostly preserved relics but some recreated, to represent the space's purpose-the jail cell, the kitchen, the stock room, etc. i loved this so much!!!! nothing like a little glamorized stage of one of our nation's ugliest self-contained war to provide for photo opportunity.
9. american flags. whenever i see them i feel i should take a picture because i know my mother would. my mother loves american flag iconography, preferably in a folk art R.A. Miller sort of way, but really, she loves a good flag. and being back in the south, where everyone is proud to be an american...
10. being lazy without consequence. we had no schedule, no commitments, and had to answer to no one. we napped, lounged, watched t.v., snacked, and really took advantage of being away from it all. it felt so good to wake up every morning and just go with the flow.
11. thrifting!!! i made ed pull over just about any time i saw a storefront sign with "antiques" on it. i scored some lovely old children's books; two antique silhouettes; an old egg carton(back when package design for eggs was sweet and pictoral); and a box of primitive artist pencils. poor ed is so patient with me and my frivolous purchases. they were such good prices and i can't resist a good deal on old trinkets. my favorite ed quote, "really ginny, how many copies of alice in wonderland and the wizard of oz does one girl need?" well...
12. the abandoned trains. all of the cars are covered in graffiti and each one tells a story. ed recalled tales of his youth where he and his father would comb train tracks and he would collect rusted spikes, various other debris and call it his treasure. don't you just love boys?
i loved every minute with him and this is just the beginning of a lifetime filled with beach stories...i can't wait.
Friday, May 9, 2008
geeze louise...where do i begin...
1. i had an amazing dinner with chelsea, frances, amy, and chelsea's momma at roebling tea room in brooklyn. i love my little marc girls and it was such a sweet dinner and dang was the food good!
2. pete rallied all of my marc jacobs babies from all of the stores on bleeker and we danced the night away at happy endings. even some of my favorite west villagers showed up...nicole- the hot nanny, max-my john bauernfeind junior, and mia-my magnolia bakery cupcake dealer. oooh and savannah wyatt, emily searle, and borja pena came! i just kept telling everyone how happy i was. i mean, so happy. thank you pete cooney for throwing the best birthday party of my life.
3. the marc jacobs dinner the following night. robert duffy and all of the dear people in the corporate office gave me my dream bag...literally, this is the bag i've always wanted. i screamed like i was given something on oprah's favorite things episode. i even cried to my fiance on the phone about it later. it was so kind. this is the nicest thing i ever could have dreamt of owning. robert duffy, meagan oconnor, paul sanford, mike okerson, chris weir...nothing i say will ever express how grateful i am for this memory. hands down, one of the best moments of my life. my favorite color is shiny for crying out loud!
4. all in all, i keep pinching myself in disbelief at this past week. i keep feeling like i must have dreamt it all.
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
1. today was my first day back at work after the weekend off and it went by really fast. the visuals team was in our store and we re-merchandised all of the new antique jewelry they discovered on their travels in south america and asia. everyone was really kind and open to suggestions.
2. robert duffy thanked me for my card that i sent him.
3. miss susie lopez told me she read my blog! i was so excited. i love this lady, hottest mom in the west village! the little marc girls and i always gush about what a cool mom she is. i hope i'm like that when i have babies...but i have a feeling mine are just going to think i'm a big weirdo.
4. mia from magnolia brought me a cupcake, so sweet. this girl always brightens my day when i see her approach our store.
5. i ran into lorraine kirke at magnolia after work(...yes i'm addicted...). thats another hot mom! i am obsessed with her store, geminola. my love affair began back when i was in savannah reading about her store in lula magazine. i was determined to find it and i literally stumbled across it one day on my walk home for work, by accident. i love happy accidents. and i haven't been able to stay away...
6. i received my two birthday cards from my sweet eddie and one from my best friend kristie. snail mail is the best way to describe how long it takes for mail from georgia to make its way to new york. i love receiving mail from eddie, i can't wait for our children to read how sweet he was to their mother.
7. the little boy gyro, learning how to skateboard at age 2! he was practicing with his daddy and his dad's friend. i was mesmerized. i'm pretty sure i was still eating play dough at that age...and certainly not skillful enough to learn skateboard tricks. kids in new york are like the power breeds of children. so much smarter, so much more fashion forward, so much hipper than kids anywhere else i've seen.
8. my collection of women's world magazines that i unearthed. filled with beautiful advertisements from the early 1900s. i mean, i love being a girl.
9. my favorite graffiti...i dream of love. so true.
10. this lady, luna, came up to me in the gym who i met a long time ago when our store first opened. she told me she had just been thinking about me(how strange and nice at the same time) and wants to collaborate artistically. we both shared how we want to be creative, but in a way that makes a difference. we only want to make money so we can give it all away. i tell you what, i would make one good philanthropist if i ever stumbled upon a large sum of money. oprah watch out!
copyrights. credits. recognition...
hey y'all, if i have not given proper or accurate credit to a photo on this blog, please let me know. everything i post is meant to be shared in the most positive, complimentary fashion. if you see a photo of yours and you would like me to remove it, please do not hesitate to ask and i will do so immediately.